Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Caught in a whirlwind

Fall has begun, and with it a whirlwind of activities. Yes, I still intend to post more about Iceland and bring a special feature on Boston to you... but until I have time to put that together, you get to hear about my super fantastic normal life.


If you are someone who has 'friended' me on Facebook or follows my Twitter account, you'll know that there has been a lot going on, and all of it is awesome. (If you aren't, I assume you don't actually know me, which is cool because I've actually reached you. But seriously, follow my Twitter. It's @CParentSK)

First, I spent more time in airports than at home in August. Okay, not necessarily the coolest but that means I got to spend a heck of a lot of time out of Saskatoon and being an explorer.

Second, I have awesome family and friends that took care of my garden, my cats and my fish during this time so that I wouldn't come home and be really, really sad. Unfortunately I forgot to instruct anyone to water my houseplants, and when I got back my spider plant looked something like this:

(not my plant, but you get the idea)
 
That said, when I got home my cousin-in-laws (is that a thing?) were visiting, so there was a houseful. Then as soon as they left, my grandpa was due to have his hip replaced so I again had a house full of visitors for the week, as the surgery took place in Saskatoon.
 
Meanwhile, there have been lots of little extras going on. I ran a half marathon again on Sunday, this time with my sister - and I am still on a high from it.

We also broke ground (literally) on our landscaping project. Previously we had fixed the crack in our foundation and had the tree removed from the front yard (it was near dead). Now we brought someone in to regrade the front yard, and now we are working on building a raised flower bed. We will also be regarding the sides of the house and reseeding the front and back lawns, in addition to removing the poplar tree from the backyard, putting in sprinklers in the front, and planting a new tree in the front (likely a Linden).



Adding to our long list of exciting happenings, we will be running a colour run (a 5k where you get coloured powder thrown at you while you run, so that you look like a rainbow when you're done) this weekend, and Gilles' cousin will be moving in with us (for a short stay) in two weeks!

Yup, life is pretty good.

Tell me! What is new in your neighbourhood?? Let me know in the comment box below!