Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Garden Update

Here's where my garden is now (not inclusive):

Beautiful rose. I have been struggling to keep my roses alive. The plant for the pink roses appears to be healthier than the plant for the red roses - the red rose plant had yellow leaves at the bottom and has some brown tipped leaves near the top. I dusted it and it appears to be perking up though. The red rose is blooming a lot more heavily than the pink roses, although they have the same number (roughly) of buds. The pink roses seem to get eaten before they can come to full bloom.

The other bulbs in my flower bed are - for the most part - in plant form. No buds yet. We decided over this last weekend that as a part of our renovation project, we will be moving all of the flowers from the front flower bed into the backyard - I will replant them into the flower bed along the north fence. Hopefully the stress isn't too much for the rose bushes, they really are beautiful.

In the back flower bed I have an orange lily blooming (2 flowers right now, with one done and two yet unopened). I also have an iris with a bud and many more lilies and irises that I am waiting to see bud.

Beautiful rose.
 I put up my pea fence last week on Tuesday, so I am very happy to see the peas already grabbing on and stretching themselves up. This is the first place that I saw them grabbing on, but looking over my fence it was doing this all over the place, sometimes already growing past where it grabbed! I expect to see blossoms starting to form soon.

Peas reaching for sunlight

My pumpkins are very healthy - I will have my work cut out for me to keep them out of the pea patch long enough to actually harvest my peas! This plant doubled in size in the last week, and the other one isn't far behind it. I am excited to see if I get large enough pumpkins to puree for pumpkin pie!

Quick-growing pumpkin plant
 My cucumbers are also doing quite well, although admittedly one of them was slowed down significantly by the number of weeds and quack grass surrounding it until quite recently (oops!) They seem to be holding their own though.
Cucumbers :)
 I was annoyed to find mushrooms growing in my garden in several places after a recent rainfall. These didn't last long after the picture was taken.
Not so happy with these.
 My lettuce is quite large - and continues to grow at a rapid pace. I will cut my first lettuce for supper tonight, along with some radishes for garnish. I also hope to plant a new strip of lettuce and radishes tonight.
My lettuce is already larger than this.

My beets are doing quite well - I finally thinned them on Monday, they needed it quite desperately. My mouth waters just thinking about the beets I will get out of here later in the summer.
That's not a weed, that's... uh... a different kind of leaf?
 I have already picked many radishes, this being my most recent crop. They are loving the vast amount of water that we are getting, and the sun that shines for a day or so between each rain spell.
I have picked many radishes already, this being my most recent crop.
Some surprise plants in my lawn...I have a birdfeeder hanging in the poplar tree behind the house, and I was surprised when I went out to fill the feeder and found many sunflowers starting underneath! I don't expect that I will allow them to grow much larger (I need to cut the lawn), but they were a pleasant and amusing surprise. I may transplant a couple of the larger ones into the flower bed (a couple feet away) just to see what happens.

I have several plants that I did not include in these pictures, but will photograph for you at a later time. These include my tomatoes (two varieties), peppers (two varieties), spaghetti squash, rutabagas, spanish onions, carrots, herbs (rosemary, catnip, lemon basil and thyme, I think?) and several varieties of flowers including the wild mix and the morning glories growing in planters on my back deck.