Monday, April 8, 2013

Training for a Half Marathon

One of the most recent things I have been doing on my weight loss / fitness adventure is training to run a half marathon. I have registered for two half marathons, the first being May 25 and the second being Sept 8. My goal was initially to just complete the first one,  likely in a walk/run fashion, but as I continue to train I am beginning to feel like I could run the whole thing in May already, without taking walk breaks.

For training, I have been using the app called '21K Runner'. It is a free app available in Apple's App Store, which schedules your runs 4 days/week for 12 weeks, gradually increasing the amount of time for each run. My biggest concern is that they are all time-based runs, there are no distance based runs. As a result, I got the "14K" award when I had only actually run 11K... I guess I'm not as fast as they expect. That said, I do intend to run longer than the app asks in the last few weeks - I'd like to walk/run the full half marathon course 2-3 weeks before the race, and I certainly won't be able to do so in 108 min.